How to : Choose a Bridal outfit color according to your Skintone !
BY The WMG Bride | 26 Sep, 2016 | 6831 views | 5 min read
"Show me anything EXCEPT a red lehenga" is one of the most commonly heard statements at any Bridal store these days. We totally get why though- there is something fresh and girly about a soft pink, something modern about gold, and earthy about orange that is just so hard to resist! So while you are on your bridal outfit hunt , here are a few things to keep in mind according to your skin tone.
Also read: Colors that photograph well in weddings
Cool vs Warm Skintone: Whats the whole FUNDA
Well- so an easy way to test whether you are cool or warm toned skin is to look at your veins under your wrist. Do they appear more green than blue- honey yr a warm toned diva. If they appear more blue, then you are a cool toned cutie. Warmer skin is more yellow colored (think Anushka Sharma) , while cooler skin is more pink colored (think Kareena Kapoor). In general, most Indians have warm skintones with a few exceptions. A general rule is - cooler skintoned girls look good in cooler shades and so on.
Cool, Pale skin tones
Bride Avantika chose colors perfectly. A raspberry pink lehenga and a deep pomegranate anarkali both complemented her pale skin. To add it to it, the pop of blue against the lehenga instantly lit up her face.
- Colors to pick: Brights, Pastels with some pigment, deep jewel tones.
- Colors like Raspberry Pink, bright blues, bright sorbet shades of pink, lime green etc
- Softer colors which have some pigment in them- light pink, peach , mint green also look absolutely lovely as long as they are not too washed out.
- Deep Jewel tones like Wine, Pomegranate, Emerald Green, Midnight Blue are lovely against cool, pale skintones
- Any type of blues always look lovely
- Color to avoid: Tangerine oranges, tomato red, beige
- Bright, tangerine orange or tomato red. While a peachy orange may work, as will a rust orange or a deep red, or rose red- a bright neon orange or tomato red is overwhelming on cooler skintones
- Beige may wash out your skin tone and it doesn't photograph well either
Warm, Medium Skintones
All our red carpet brides were medium skintones. See how gorgeous the yellow and the orangey-red looks? The cream is stunning as an outfit too, but the face appears brightest in the other two colors.
Photography: The Photo Diary
- Colors to pick: Any fire shades (Orange, yellow red), Hot Pinks, Peaches , Corals
- Lots of Corals, Oranges, Saffron yellow (YES Yellow) , Red, Rust , Hot Pink, Peach and anything else that brightens up the face instantly. Think of any color with just a tone of orange or peach- it would look fab!
- Some earthy and medium toned jewel colors- dusty pink , a brighter medium toned emerald green rather than a very dark emerald color, Royal blue rather than a midnight blue
- Colors to avoid: Beige, Gold, Purple, Very dark blues and greens
- Neutral colors like beiges and gold wash you out, as will ash grey and the like and end up looking dull on camera
- Dark colors like purple, midnight blue and very deep greens also add darkness and dullness to your face.
Bride Shailaja was smart with her colors too- picking a deep jewel toned blouse but a peachy orange dupatta to pull the look together aginst her dusky skin . Her makeup was in tones of peach and orange as well.
Bride Rasna chose a pale mint green as her blouse-pastel colors like those look great against olive tones.
- Colors to pick: Warm Pastels, Pale Gold, Burnt Oranges, Emerald green, Dusty pinks, Peach family
- Pastels look absolutely gorgeous. Its so surprising that most darker girls feel pastels dont look good on them. But put a beautiful mint green, or a warm pastel pink against your skin tone and it absolutely radiates as does dusty pink. Icy cool pastels should be avoided but most of the others - go for it!
- A burnt orange is an absolutely terrific choice for a bridal lehenga for you guys as are medium toned warm pinks and corals.
- Colors to avoid: Wine , Neon colors , Tomato Reds, Copper, Yellow Gold
- Well...red. Not all reds but a lot of cool toned, maroon reds in the markets can be overpowering. Look for orange reds or muted reds which look great against your skintone.
- Neon-ish colors. While neons may work against dark skintones abroad, in Indian bridal outfits with the number of elements on you- darker girls should avoid the ultra bright colors.
How seriously should you take this guide
Well honestly not very. Yeah we know- we gave all this Gyaan and now we tell you to ignore it? Not really..
Say you are darker skintone and you love a neon, hot pink. You can wear a neon pink skirt but keep the blouse a different color since its closest to your face. Apply the guide to items that are closest to your face, and play around with colors on the rest of the outfit.
More important than the color of your outfit is going to be the color of your makeup. Even if your outfit totally washes you out, just a prop of brightness and warmth in your makeup can instantly transform how you look.
Stay updated with the latest wedding trends, Download the WedMeGood app now.