Wedding Guest Limit in India - Latest Government COVID Wedding Guidelines 2021
BY Sakshi | 01 Jun, 2021 | 56523 views | 8 min read
With COVID spreading even more than last time numbers, breaking records with respect to the number of people infected on a daily basis, curfews and regulations are in place yet again. This time however, rather than a national lockdown, we are looking at state governments putting strict measures and curfews into place, and there are also new COVID guidelines for weddings. If you had your wedding planned for the month of May or even June now, then we understand there might be a lot of uncertainty and tension regarding how to go about things. What are the new government guidelines for weddings in India? What's the wedding guest limit? Are there any COVID banquet guidelines? - We are sure all these questions might be arising, and perhaps, causing stress. We are here to answer all those questions to the best of our abilities and sources!
Image via Anita and Sreehari
As far as the latest COVID 19 guidelines for weddings are concerned, they differ from one state to the other and one metro city to the other. Here is a comprehensive list:
Wedding Guidelines in Delhi
Delhi has a curfew from 10 PM to 5 AM with 'unlockdown' in place.
- Marriages in the national capital can only be held at home or court with not more than 20 people. Delhi will start the process of partially easing its lockdown measures.
- For movement of persons for marriage-related gatherings up to 20 persons will be allowed on production of “soft/hard copy” of invitation cards. e-Passes will be issued separately for the movement. More details here.
- Additionally, owners of banquet halls and hotels will have to either return the advance amount paid by the customer for conducting marriages or they will have to mutually agree to organise the wedding at a later date.
Wedding Guidelines for Mumbai & Maharashtra
- Maharastra is slowly lifting the complete lockdown in phases. Currently, there is a curfew in place from 7 AM to 8 PM till June 15.
The marriage ceremony may be conducted only as a single event in a single hall not extending beyond 2 hours with maximum of total 25 persons attending the same. Any family seen to be flouting the restraints or not following these in letter and spirit may be fined Rs 50000/-, and any location that is misused or is defaulting in spirit of the restrictions shall be closed till promulgation of Covid-19 as a disaster remains in force.
Wedding Guidelines for Bangalore & Karnataka
- There is currently a cap at 40 people for wedding celebrations.
- Passes will be issued to the 40 guests and they can only enter the premises where the event is being held upon showing the passes.
- District wise rules with cap at 10 guests at some weddings.
Wedding Guidelines for Kerala
- Lockdown has been extended in Kerala till June 16, 2021.
- Wedding ceremonies will be capped at 50 and funerals at 20. In both cases, registration on the COVID-19 Jagratha portal is a must.
Wedding Guidelines for Punjab
There is a daily night curfew in effect from 6 PM to 5 AM.
The maximum number of people allowed in a gathering is capped at 10 currently. District-wise directions have been rolled out.
Wedding Guidelines for Chandigarh
There is a daily night curfew in effect from 6 PM to 5 AM, indefinitely implemented for now.
Only 50 people will be allowed in wedding celebrations. Marriages are to be conducted with prior permission from Sub Divisional Magistrate concerned.
Wedding Guidelines for Gujarat
There is a daily night curfew in effect from 9 PM to 6 AM across 20 cities in the state, which is currently implemented.
The maximum number of people allowed in a gathering is capped at 50 currently.
Wedding Guidelines for Rajasthan
The maximum number of people allowed at a wedding ceremony is currently capped at 11.
- No wedding functions permitted. Weddings in courts or at home in the presence of a maximum of 11 people are permitted. The family that is organising the wedding will have to submit details at Covidinfo.rajasthan.gov.in.
Wedding Guidelines for Haryana
The maximum number of people allowed at a wedding ceremony has been increased from 11 to 20.
- Marriages will be allowed at home and courts or anywhere the couple wishes to with a maximum limit of 20 persons.
Wedding Guidelines for Uttar Pradesh
- Curfew everyday from 8 PM to 5 AM.
Weddings can only be held with only 25 guests inside closed spaces and 100 guests in open spaces with face masks, social distancing and use of sanitizers.
- Lockdown will continue in 20 districts including state capital Lucknow, Noida and Greater Noida that fall under the Gautam Buddha Nagar district, as well as in Ghaziabad. In these districts, markets, schools, colleges and educational institutions will continue to remain closed.
Wedding Guidelines for Uttarakhand
- Curfew everyday from 6 AM onwards.
- The maximum number of people allowed at a wedding ceremony is currently capped at 20.
- A negative RT-PCR report is mandatory to attend wedding ceremonies.
Wedding Guidelines for Himachal Pradesh
- The number of people at any wedding gathering has been limited to 20.
- Complete ban on dham (community feast) at weddings and other celebrations.
- The Himachal Pradesh government has announced a three-hour relaxation in curfew imposed across the state to combat COVID-19. The district magistrates (DMs) have declared different timings for the curfew to be relaxed in their districts. All public transport will remain suspended till further orders and private vehicles will only be allowed in case of emergency services.
Wedding Guidelines for Madhya Pradesh
- The complete lockdown has been lifted in the state.
As per the guidelines, the number of people attending a marriage is capped at 10 from each side (total 20). It is mandatory to furnish the list of guests to the local administration in advance.
There will be separate sets of unlocking guidelines for the places having the COVID-19 positivity rate above 5 per cent and below 5 per cent.
Wedding Guidelines For Tamil Nadu
Lockdown in the state has been extended till June 7 for now.
- Inter-district and intra-district vehicular movement (including public transport) will remain suspended during the lockdown, except for essential travel.
- Travel for weddings of close relatives, funerals, job interviews and hospitals would be allowed on production of relevant documents.
Wedding Guidelines for Andhra Pradesh
- There is a daily curfew in place from 12 PM to 6 AM till June 10, 2021.
- Weddings can be conducted with a maximum of 50 guests.
Wedding Guidelines for Telangana
- Curfew is in order from midnight to 6 AM till May 8, 2021.
- Only 40 members are allowed for marriage who procure prior permission.
Wedding Guidelines for Bihar
Weddings can be conducted with a maximum of 20 guests.
- Night curfew is in order from 6 PM to 6 AM.
Wedding Guidelines for Jharkand
Weddings can be conducted with a maximum of 11 guests.
Wedding Guidelines for Chhattisgarh
There is a daily night curfew in effect from 9 PM to 6 AM.
- There is a limit of 10 people to attend weddings as of now.
- Lockdown is in force in all 28 districts of the state for varying period with different relaxations to contain the spread of the infection.
Wedding Guidelines for Odisha
There is a limit of 50 people to attend a wedding till May 19, 2021.
- Marriages shall be permitted with approval from local authorities.
Wedding Guidelines for Assam
- There is a limit of 20 people to attend a wedding.
- Only 20 persons will be allowed at wedding-related gatherings. No reception parties will be allowed post or pre-marriage.
- There is a daily curfew in effect from 1 PM to 5 AM.
Wedding Guidelines for Puducherry
- Only 25 people are allowed to attend a wedding.
- The daily curfew timing is from 10 PM to 5 AM.
Wedding Guidelines for Goa
- A maximum of 50 people are allowed to attend a wedding, with permission from DM/SDM.
- Marriages with 50 or less people with permission from DM/SDM. Government has also announced that visitors from other states to Goa essentially need to carry either a negative COVID-19 report or certificate of vaccination.
Wedding Guidelines for Jammu & Kashmir
- Only 25 people are allowed to attend a wedding.
- The daily curfew timing is from 8 PM to 7 AM.
- The Jammu and Kashmir government has issued fresh lockdown guidelines, for all the 20 districts of the Union Territory with partial relaxation in some public activities.
Planning a wedding amidst the pandemic can be stressful, so let WedMeGood ease your stress! Download the WMG App today!
Plan A Safe, Hygienic Wedding With WedMeGood! Wedsafe allows you to view safety initiatives taken by each vendor to plan a safe, hygienic wedding. You can also find the best in your budget with WedMeGood's Genie Services! Also, easily pick wedding vendors from our Vendor Showcase and shop for all your bridal outfits from our exclusive WMG Bridal Gallery!
Updated as of June 9, 2021*