Outfit Ideas for the Mother of the bride/ groom
BY The WMG Bride | 13 Feb, 2015 | 2246 views | 3 min read
Whether its a chic new silhouette or an elegant kanjivaram, moms of the bride are probably just about as excited as the bride herself ! Judging by the number of emails we received asking for this feature specifically, we would say not enough is being said about the stylish new mommies in Indian weddings :)
1. Modern twist to your kanjivaram: If your mom swears by that elegant dusty pink kanjivaram in her closet, put a chic modern twist to it by adding a full sleeved blouse made completely out of gold chantilly lace. The lace sleeves add a super modern touch and the gold really plays well with a kanjivaram. Add a string of emeralds and she shall be the talk of the town.
2. Heavy Pallazo :Pallazos are one of those things which look great on people of all ages depending on how you wear them. For mums, a pallazo that fits straight down and a shirt that ends mid calf is perfect - take some inspiration from Pakistani brides
3. Long Sharara (First from left): Want something closest to a lehenga but have tummy issues? Get a beautiful, flowy sharara with a top ending at just about mid-thigh. Its elegant, unique and shararas are super trending at the moment .
4. The floor length layered anarkali : Fail proof option, though a bit seen now but the floor length layered anarkali is flattering on all body types.
5. The velvet pallu (Second from left) : High neck blouse with full sleeves and a stunning velvet pallu blouse are one of the most beautiful options for moms. We have to give it to Sabyasachi for introducing this 3 years back, but its still going strong. If you feel like velvet will add to you weight- Dont worry. The good quality stores have lycra velvet, or faux velvet which looks like velvet but is light and slinky.
6. The straight floor length kurta with a kanjivaram: Picture a plain, raw silk navy kurta with minimal embroidery around the collar . Pair it with a vivid, pink kanjivaram dupatta which is ultra rich. Its one of the most elegant silhouettes to wear and looks super stylish
7. Jackets (third and fourth from left) : Mid calf length open jacket with a shirt inside and straight churidars or pallazos underneath. Love.
What to keep in mind for mothers of the bride:
- While most moms prefer to have a neutral color palette, we LOVE moms who experiment with colors. As you age, your skin tends to lose radiance and adding a neutral or soft color can sometimes add to that, so go ahead and experiment with a bright pink there are no rules!
- It's a good idea to complement the bride in her colors. So if a bride is wearing a deep wine , the mother could wear a soft salmon pink, if the bride is wearing emerald, the mother could wear mint
- Make sure you wear the most comfortable shoes possible, as moms tend to do a lot of the last minute running around
- Also make sure you carry a clutch, there are a gazillion things people will tell you to hold- sagan envelopes, hair pins, random receipts. Think of yourself as the universal bag on that day !